This avocado grapefruit salad is the ideal winter side dish. It offers a welcome freshness to the more heavy dishes served in the winter. In this salad, creamy avocado pairs perfectly with tart grapefruit and sweet oranges. Finished with a white balsamic vinaigrette, fresh herbs, and crunchy nuts, this salad really has it all.
It’s no secret that avocado pairs well with citrus (hello lime), but grapefruit is one citrus fruit that’s under utilized, not only in combination with avocado, but in cooking in general.
The tartness of grapefruit cuts through the fatty creaminess of avocado, making it an ideal pairing. For this salad, I also add orange segments to bring in a bit more dimension and some sweetness.
How to make Avocado Grapefruit Salad
This salad is all about assembly. No cooking required, just a bit of slicing and whisking! Excuse me, the nuts do need to be toasted. But I’ll let you in on a little secret. Toast your nuts in big batches, that way you can quickly add A TON of flavor to salads with just a toss of the hand.
- Halve, pit and thinly slice avocado. Remove peel from slices and arrange in a single layer on a large plate.
- Segment grapefruit and arrange on and around avocado slices.
- Segment oranges and arrange on and around avocado slices.
- Chop herbs and sprinkle over avocado and citrus.
- Chop nuts and sprinkle over avocado and citrus.
- Whisk together vinaigrette.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and serve immediately.
Can this avocado grapefruit salad be made ahead?
This salad is best enjoyed shortly after making. If needed, the salad can be made up to 1 hour ahead of time, any more and the avocado will start to become brown, the citrus will start to lose their plump texture, the nuts will soften, and the herbs will wilt.
However, the one thing you can make ahead (!!) is the vinaigrette. The vinaigrette can be made and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Make this salad a meal
- Dice sushi-grade wild-caught salmon or ahi tuna and serve with salad.
- Add torn butter lettuce to the salad, serve with pan-seared salmon and crusty bread.
- Serve with herbed chicken skewers.
More salad recipes you may like…
- Winter Citrus Salad
- Looking for a main-dish salad? Try our Sushi Salad!
- One of our favorite salad is this Kale & Cherry Salad with Brie. It’s sweet, savory and healthy.
- This French Lentil Salad with Salmon is light, healthy and deliciously satisfying.
- Looking for another fruit salad? Our Vietnamese Mango Fruit Salad is simple and festive.
- Winter Green Salad with Oranges and Candied Pistachios
Make sure to tag me @ZESTFULKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM or comment below if you make this Avocado Grapefruit Salad!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can click the button on any of the photos, or the red button on the side bar or below the recipe. Happy cooking!Print
Avocado Grapefruit Salad
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
This fresh salad is creamy, tart, fresh, and even a bit crunchy. It makes the perfect side, especially in the winter when citrus is at its peak.
For the salad:
- 2 avocados, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 grapefruit, supremed (segmented)
- 2 oranges (I prefer Cara Cara), supremed (segmented)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons toasted and chopped hazelnuts (or toasted slivered almonds)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion whites
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
Arrange avocado slices in a single layer on a large plate, then place grapefruit segments and orange segments evenly over top. Sprinkle cilantro, mint, hazelnuts, and scallions over top. For the vinaigrette, whisk together oil, vinegar, scallion whites, Dijon, honey, salt, and pepper. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve immediately.
To supreme citrus, check out this how-to video.
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 312mg
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Avocado Grapefruit Salad, Avocado Salad, Grapefruit Salad, Orange Salad
This recipe was originally posted on February 16, 2017.
This looks amazing! Something to try with the avocados we brought back from Texas!!
Thanks! Yum, fresh avocados, sounds great!
This looks delicious and so refreshing! I love grapefruit and avocado!
Thank you Maria!
WOW! This salad was sooo refreshing and delicious! I loved the dressing– I used regular mustard and did not add the shallot and it was still amazing. I also added goat cheese because I think it pairs really well with the citrus.
I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed the salad. I love the changes and additions you made, I’ve got to try it with goat cheese now, sounds great!
So beautiful and vibrant – such a great way to use up all the citrus right now!
I have everything for this! Can’t wait to give it a try!
Yum! Beautiful salad!
This salad was delish but the vinaigrette was SO GOOD!!