When you’re in charge of bringing the salad to the holidays—this Arugula Pear Salad is the one to bring. It’s a light leafy green salad that’s flavorful, savory, and festive. Featuring juicy pears, blue cheese or goat cheese crumbles, and a savory lemon vinaigrette that ties everything together.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
The peppery arugula is balanced with sweet pears, funky blue cheese, and a lemony vinaigrette that’s tangy, ultra savory and even a little nutty. To make the vinaigrette we rely on a favorite method of mine—infusing the oil with lemon peel, chopped nuts, spices and a bit of shallot. This trick both infuses the oil and creates a crunchy topping for the salad. This Lemon Arugula Salad is a true crowd pleaser.
Arugula is the only green used in this arugula pear salad. If you prefer to blend arugula with another green consider bibb lettuce or a mix of spring lettuces. Check out our guide on how to wash and store lettuce greens!
Lemon peel and juice are both used in this recipe. You’ll need just one lemon.
Pecans get toasted in olive oil which is then used in the flavor-packed vinaigrette. The toasted nuts are then tossed into the salad for flavor and crunch.
Fennel seeds are used to infuse the oil with flavor. Once cooked in the oil, they are sprinkled over the salad for small pops of flavor.
Pear is one of the shining ingredients of this arugula pear salad. Any variety will work but we prefer a Bartlett.
Blue cheese or fresh goat cheese can be used here. Blue cheese works the best with the other flavors of the salad, but use what you like best!
FAQs & Test Kitchen Tips
You can make the vinaigrette and the nut and spice topping ahead of time. Let the nut and spice mixture cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 1 day or in the refrigerator for 4 days. It’s likely the nuts will lose some of their crunch during storage so you may want to briefly retoast them in a skillet before serving.
You can make and store the vinaigrette up to 4 days ahead of time. Store in a glass airtight container in the refrigerator.
This simple salad is incredibly versatile! Try a different nut—instead of toasted pecans, try toasted walnuts. Swap the blue cheese for shaved parmesan cheese. Swap the lemon for orange peel and fresh orange juice.
And use thinly sliced apples or orange segments instead of the pear. Lastly, use minced red onion instead of shallot.
This arugula pear salad uses 5 ounces of fresh arugula which is the weight of most containers of arugula at the store. If you have extra, here are a few ideas!
Because arugula is so peppery, We love to use it to make an arugula pesto. It’s also great tossed into a creamy veggie-packed pasta. Or toss it with some cooked lentils and serve over garlicky yogurt.
More Salad Recipes to Try
Arugula Pear Salad with Toasted Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped shallot
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Flaky sea salt, kosher salt and black pepper
- 5 ounces arugula
- 1 red or green pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 ounces blue cheese or goat cheese, crumbled
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel four 3-inch strips of lemon peel, making sure to avoid white pith; reserve lemon for later. Add lemon peels to a small skillet with oil and shallot.
- Heat skillet over medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallot starts to brown and lemon peels start to curl and toast, about 3 minutes.
- Add pecans and cook, stirring frequently, until pecans are browned, 3–4 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in fennel seeds and let rest 2 minutes.
- Strain oil through a fine mesh sieve set over a small liquid measuring cup.
- Spread nut and spice mixture onto a plate and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Once cool enough to handle, mince lemon peels and add back to nut and spice mixture.
- Juice reserved lemon and add 2 tablespoons lemon juice, Dijon and honey to measuring cup with infused oil; whisk to combine then season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange arugula and pear slices on a large platter or serving bowl. Sprinkle blue cheese and toasted nut and spice mixture over salad. Drizzle vinaigrette over top and serve.